Friday 24 May 2013

Still (A Cartoon) Life

Still (A Cartoon) Life
cartoon image photo
Image by aforgrave
This is one of several similar images taken of my desk (see the mini rubber chicken on my Macbook?) using an iPhone cartoon filter. This was made using the ToonCamera app.

#iPPP2Day18 While life may sometimes take on characteristics of a cartoon, let's help it along on its way today using a cartoon app. Try Cartoon FX (free) or ToonCamera (thanks @cogdog) or another app to cartoonize something today.

2012/366 - Day 78


Gridskipper Stole My Image
cartoon image photo
Image by Jim O'Connell
( Curtis ) just mailed me to tell me that he saw one of my images on Gawker's Gridskipper site. gridskipper.com/travel/boston/drunken-boston-st-paddys-da...

Not only did they steal it, they modified it and added text that I find offensive, as a person of Irish heritage.

Dear Gawker, please go take a look at my licensing terms for unauthorized use of my images. It's on my profile page.

On their legal page, they say this:
"Image Terms of Use

Gawker Media sites typically display images as part of blog posts written by our editors. The types of images editors are authorized to use on Gawker Media sites include:

--[stuff snipped]--
Images published on Flickr or other public photo sites, with an implied license for use under the Creative Commons license associated with such sites."

Well, if you look at the original image, ( www.flickr.com/photos/jimoconnell/382833008/ ) right underneath and to the side, it says "© All rights reserved." While I am a big believer in Creative Commons, I have explicitly chosen not to license most of my images that way.

I have spent many many thousands of dollars on my photography and hope one day to recoup some of that by selling prints and licensing images for commercial use.
(This very image is now hanging in an exhibition and is available as a print for sale.)
It's not fair for them to just take my work, deface it with a cartoon and a racist comment and put it on a commercial site.


Cartoon cactus
cartoon image photo
Image by Neil Kremer


Lat
cartoon image photo
Image by Pete Ashton
I was trying to capture this image of the woman smoking (don't have a scanner right now) and while I didn't eventually have a use for it, I was quite pleased with the accidental composition of the photo.

Lat is Malaysia's formost cartoonist and has been for decades. When I lived in Singapore we had these two books (The Kampung Boy and Lat's Lot) around the place and I still love reading them. Top stuff.


Max Howard – producer of “Igor”
cartoon image photo
Image by PanARMENIAN_Photo


© PanARMENIAN Photo / Vahan Stepanyan

All the images presented in this photostream are part of photo sets that can be purchased for editorial or commercial use. Contact us for further information.

No comments:

Post a Comment